Ahh the Greek islands in the summer! What’s better than that? We love coming back to Greece every summer and one of our favorite things to do is finding new islands in the Cyclades to explore. Santorini and Paros are always our favorite and we often go back, but every year we pick a new one to discover. This year we chose Tinos island and stayed at Aeolis Tinos Suites.
Why Visit Tinos?
Tinos is an interesting island when it comes to the Cyclades. It’s a big island and it’s located right next to Mykonos, so you would think it would be a little more well-known. It’s a very low-key island and in contrast with Mykonos, Tinos does not attract hordes of tourists. There are very few hotels here and not a lot of busy restaurants, night clubs or cafes.
But that’s exactly what makes Tinos so charming. If you are looking to escape the madness of Mykonos and just want to relax in the mountain for a few days, Tinos can be just the right spot for you. It’s also a great place to get to know local Greek culture and arts without the influence of mass tourism.
Best Time To Visit Tinos Island
The best time to visit Greece is between May and August. April, May, September and October have warm weather, around 70 or 80 degrees, hotels are not at full occupancies and rates are lower. But the downside is that the sea might not be as warm and you might get cooler days. If you love higher temperatures, cooling down in the pool or the sea, June, July and August are the best months to visit Greece and its many islands. July and August are the hottest months, and especially in August hotels are at full occupancy.
Renting A Car
Tinos is quite a big island so if you want to explore it beyond the hotel we definitely recommend renting a car. Aeolis Tinos Suites offers free parking, which makes everything easier. The hotel is also not close to a beach so having a car would be your only option if you want to go to the beach.
The nice thing about Aeolis Tinos Suites is that they have a wide variety of room types and suites that can fit different needs and budgets. You can choose from a number of different rooms, suites and villas depending on your preferences.
If you are traveling with a friend there are simple double rooms that are more budget friendly. For couples – you can go simple or pick a large suite with a private pool for a more romantic trip. And if you are traveling with your family or some friends, you can rent a villa and enjoy the comfort of the bigger space. There’s even a cave house that is carved into the rocks!
The interior design is a mix of the traditional Tinian architecture and modern pieces of furniture and decor.
Here are some of the room types Aeolis Tinos Suites offers:
- Honeymoon Suite Mini Jetted Pool Sea View is a smaller room for 2 people. It offers a panoramic sea view, as well as a beautiful view of the Tinos island, which you can enjoy from your mini pool.
- Premium Double Sea View is also a smaller room for a couple with an amazing balcony and sea view. The stone walls of this room really depict the charm and beauty of Tinos.
- Superior Room Side Sea View offers accommodation for 2-4 people. It’s architecture reflects the authentic Tinos style but with a modern touch. It’s also called a love birds’ nest.
- Junior Suite Sea Siew has an unobstructed 360-degree view. You can also see 11 other islands from this room! This suite’s interior design is a mix of traditional and modern decor.
- Deluxe Suite Sea Siew is a bigger suite that can host up to 4 people as it has a bedroom separated from the living room. It has a private terrace decorated with traditional bare Tinian stone and you can enjoy a panoramic sea view from there.
- Golden Villa Two Bedroom With Spa is a big spacious villa that can host up to 6 people in its 2 bedrooms and a living room. What makes it different from the others is that it has a hammam steam bath, popular in ancient Greece. This villa is perfect for a vacation with your friends or family.
- Cave Suite Two Bedroom is a traditional house carved into the rocks. It’s very minimalist calm and serene and it has a constant cool temperature due to the rocks. This cave has a private courtyard with beautiful views of the Aegean sea and other greek islands.
Private Pool Suites & Residence
- Cave Experience Private Pool Sea View is a perfect mix between old and new. It’s white walls and light colored furniture appear as a contrast to dark, bare stone that decorates the walls. This is a room for 2 people and it has a private pool that lets you enjoy a stunning sea view.
- Private Pool Suite Sea View is a very private secluded suite. It has a terrace embedded in traditional Tinian stone and a pool. It offers accommodation for up to 3 people.
- Platinum Villa Private Pool Sea View is a big villa for up to 5 people. It provides a beautiful unobstructed view of the Aegean Sea. This villa is secluded, with a private entrance, terrace and a private pool.
- Diamond Villa Private Pool is a 2-level villa with a queen sized bed on one level and a double bed on the second level. It’s perfect for 2-3 people. The second level also has a private balcony with a saltwater pool. It used to be a dovecote, now it’s transformed into a modern and romantic villa but you can still watch doves nesting from your bed on the second level.
- Aeolis Cast Away Exclusive Residence is a private residence decorated with natural materials. It’s perfect for those who seek privacy and tranquility. The interior design is also unique with its neutral toned rocks on the walls mixed with white paint. It offers minimalistic luxury, beautiful landscapes and a perfect view of the sea.
Food And Restaurants
Aeolis Tinos Suites gives you an opportunity to choose between an American breakfast, continental breakfast or a breakfast buffet.
Inside the hotel is the Zoga restaurant, open from 1pm to 12am. It’s open for everyone, not just hotel guests, so it’s become a symbol of Tinos. The chef composed a menu based on Italian and Greek cuisines joined together in an amazing Mediterranean fusion. The food in this restaurant takes you on a culinary journey that goes from traditional dishes to original, unique dishes. Even though the Italian and Greek cuisines use a lot of meat, fish and other animal products, this restaurant offers a variety of choices for everyone, meat-eaters, vegetarians, and vegans. Zoga also offers desserts, and one you have to try is the traditional Greek walnut cake.
Aeolis Tinos Suites is located on a hill, so it is not close to a beach. If you want to visit local beaches around the island you’d have to rent a car.
You can find all kinds of beaches on Tinos, and some of them are only accessible by a car or a boat. Depending on your taste, you can relax on sandy beaches, rocky beaches, beaches with pebbles, public beaches with amenities and cafes or untouched ones. The water is very blue and very clear, perfect for swimming or playing water sports.
One of the most famous beaches is the Kolymbithra beach, which has the cutest mushroom-shaped umbrellas to relax under.
The hotel’s main pool is beautiful and offers an amazing view of the whole island. It’s big enough for a morning lap. The downside is that the pool is not heated and since the hotel in a mountain it can get quite chilly. But, if you find yourself in Tinos on a hot summer day, the cool temperature of the pool can be a welcome way to refresh. On the other hand, if you are not a fan of the colder water, you can enjoy sunbathing by the pool and relaxing with a cocktail.
Spa And Gym
Aeolis Tinos Suites doesn’t have a gym, but you can take up yoga. The hotel offers private and group yoga sessions or you can just practice on your own on one of the rooftops against the breathtaking views of the island. You can also book a massage or enjoy a facial treatment.
If you are someone who gets easily tired of relaxing by the pool, or you simply want to see what the island has to offer, there are lots of activities you can do while on Tinos.
Yachting. Aeolis Tinos Suites collaborates with experienced sailors who can take you to some of the more remote beaches of Tinos or on a day cruise.
You can go horseback riding through Tinos’ scenic trails that take you to the traditional villages. Hiking is also an option – Tinos has 11 hiking trails and their total length is around 120 km.
If you chose to rent a car be sure to visit Pyrgos – Tinos’ most famous picturesque village. The whole village is decorated with marble, which gives it a beautiful white aesthetic with colorfully painted doors and windows. Pyrgos used to be an arts center, attracting a lot of Greek artists. Today, the artistic tradition is continued through galleries and the School of Fine Arts. We loved walking around the picturesque streets spotted with cute cafes, shops and galleries.
Volax and Isternia are also small villages that offer picturesque views. Its streets and alleys are filled with beautiful bougainvillea flowers.
While exploring the island and sightseeing, you can visit the Archeological museum of Tinos, the Kostas Tsoklis museum, the Monument of Elli, the Sanctuary of Poseidon and the art gallery. One of the most interesting things you can see on Tinos are the dovecotes – little fortresses decorated with geometrical patterns that attract doves. Some of the hotel’s suites were previously dovecotes!