Ah, Positano, those world-famous cliffs with bright houses painted shades of pink, white, and yellow seem sprinkled all over them. This former fisherman village has become a symbol of the sweet Italian life and one of the most desired honeymoon destinations. But, planning a trip there can be a daunting task, as the summer season is short and accommodation is limited. Here’s our guide on the best hotels in Positano and the area.
Getting To Positano
First things first, how do we get there?
Getting to the Amalfi Coast can be a little tricky as there are no direct flights or trains and there are few direct buses. In addition, parking is very limited, so renting a car can be a challenge. We recommend taking a train to Naples and continuing by taxi or shuttle to Positano.
Read our full guide on all the routes to Positano and a breakdown of the best options here.
Where To Stay In Positano
Pick where to stay in the Amalfi Coast wisely. While Positano is the most famous town in the area with the most scenic views and best photo ops, it’s the most expensive one too. The town is also not as ‘authentic’ as its neighboring towns due to the flood of tourism there.
If you are traveling with small children, Positano might not be the best choice for you as it’s not stroller-friendly (read: lots of stairs!).
Neighboring towns like Praiano and Amalfi can offer a similar experience as Positano for a lot less – and with better parking! If you’re looking for a less crowded tourist town, but still the same great views and beautiful hotels Praiano is your best bet. If you’re more interested in architecture and exploring the region, Amalfi boasts beautiful 11th century architecture in its old town. It is also a main transportation hub and much more family-friendly.
There is a lot to consider, but don’t worry! Whether you’re planning a romantic luxury getaway, a family vacation or a budget-friendly trip, we’ve done all the research for you and are here to break down all the options for you.
Best Luxury Hotels In Positano
Positano is known for its panoramic sunsets, quaint alleyways and picturesque scenic views. It is also home to some of the most beautiful hotels in Europe and an extremely popular destination for weddings and honeymoons. Yes, prices can go through the roof in the summer, but if you are looking to splurge for your special occasion, you can’t go wrong with Positano.
What could be a better location for your honeymoon? The views are breathtaking, every corner screams romance and every sunset gets more beautiful than the last. Positano will leave you and your partner feeling more in love than ever.
Here are recommendations for luxury hotels in Positano with the best atmosphere for romance, perfect for special occasions and honeymoons:
- Le Sirenuse – This 5 star hotel has definitely earned its fame. The spacious rooms with private balconies provide a great reprieve from a day out. Everything you need is within this hotel: Michelin-starred restaurant, Champagne bar, stunning views, a huge swimming pool overlooking the entire town and even a hammam at your disposal.
- II San Pietro di Positano – Popular with celebrities like George Clooney, this hotel won’t disappoint. The staff are extra attentive, the restaurant serves local organic food, buffet breakfast included, spa facilities, indoor outdoor pools and even a tennis court on site.
- Hotel Villa Franca – This luxurious 5 star hotel has everything you need for the perfect honeymoon experience. Views of the sea and Positano’s town will keep you and your partner from wanting to leave the hotel. It’s located 15min from the main town and beach (free shuttles to and from town). Villa Franca has 2 on-site restaurants, a bar, a wellness center and a stunning outdoor pool.
- Villa Treville – Start your honeymoon right and stay at this 2 hectare estate! You may never leave the property given the private beach access, free mini bar, an interior that will have you never leaving the property and an American styled breakfast included. Keep in mind it’s a little outside of the town though, so you will need transport.
- Hotel Marincanto – Located in the center of Positano, every room boasts scenic views of the sea. Enjoy the extensive breakfast buffet that’s included with your stay and snap some romantic honeymoon pictures by the infinity pool!
Best Value For Money In Positano
There is no doubt that Positano accommodation comes with a high price tag. But if you plan in advance, there are still a few deals you can find. We’ve found a few places with great views and nice amenities that won’t break the bank:
- Villa Rosa Positano – This BnB screams all things Positano. Given this 150 year old Villa was built on the side of a cliff, it offers unbeatable views from all areas. Not only should you come here for the views, but the location is perfect too!
- Albergo California – Want the quintessential Positano photo without the price tag of a 5 star hotel? Albergo California is for you. This eighteenth-century castle with unique roof frescos and ornate entryways provides a romantic ambiance at a reasonable price.
- Hotel Reginella – This 3 star hotel is located in the center of Positano, with most rooms having private terraces to enjoy the same views a luxury 5 star hotel would boast.
Where To Stay In Positano On A Budget
Positano gets a bad rep for being an expensive holiday location. However, we’ve found a few budget-friendly stays for you:
- Hostel Brikette – Located in Chiesa Nuova, this hostel boasts stunning views and spacious balconies. It offers both dorm and private rooms at reasonable prices. It’s just a 10 minute walk to the beach!
- Villa Palumbo – The rooms are on the small side, but they have balconies and a nice view.
- Hotel Royal Prisco – With it’s location just 5 minutes from the sea and close proximity to the center of Positano, you wouldn’t believe how budget-friendly this place is! This traditional hotel offers modern rooms, beach views, and an onsite restaurant with a free continental breakfast.
- Casa Teresa – Located north from the center of Positano, Casa Teresa is a quaint BnB. If you don’t feel like going into the main center, you can take advantage of the surrounding shops and restaurants and enjoy the cosy onsite bar.
Where To Stay In Positano For Nightlife
Positano isn’t typically known for its nightlife; however, it has a few places for you to boogie the night away. Here are the best hotels in Positano located near the most lively areas:
- Villa Flavio Gioia – Located at the heart of Positano, this hotels is just a 3 minute walk away from the marina and only 200 feet from the beach. Villa Flavio Gioia is a great place to stay if you’re looking to enjoy the nightlife in Positano.
- Casa Antonio Positano – This apartment-style stay is located in Lower Positano. It’s in prime location for you to stumble back from a night out at Music On The Rocks club. You can even whip up some late night snacks before resting your weary feet from a night of dancing!
- Casa Nilde – This property is perfect for groups with single and double beds available. It’s located just 100 meters from bars with spacious rooms and a free Italian breakfast included with your stay.
Best Hotels In Positano For Families
Holidaying in Positano isn’t like your typical holiday with all the kids and their grandparents. There are a few things to keep in mind before bringing the whole family.
Positano was built on steep cliffs so there are many steep roads and stairs that are not very stroller-friendly. There are just a couple of main roads for cars and the rest is steep alleyways and a LOT of stairs. Be prepared. It can also get very crowded and hot in the summer, and public transport is unreliable and often overcrowded. Be sure to read our cautionary post on Positano here.
This isn’t to say you shouldn’t come. There are plenty of activities to keep the whole family happy. From boat rides to beach days and, of course, all the gelato! We’ve picked a few places within Positano that are family friendly, but suggest staying in Amalfi and taking day trips over to Positano if you have younger children.
- Hotel Royal Positano offers a blend of suites and rooms to fit groups of any size. A giant pool with plenty of lawn chairs to lounge around, a playground for the kids and even a tennis court to enjoy some family bonding.
- I Giardini Dei Sensi – This studio-styled apartment/hotel is perfect for families. The beautiful open terrace gives the entire family common areas to lounge around. There’s even an onsite bar for the parents.
- Covo Dei Saraceni – With two large ocean view pools and three onsite restaurants, Covo has plenty to keep the family busy. This is unquestionably one of the best-located hotels sitting right on the beach, surrounded by Positano Bay with plenty of activities for everyone. Not to mention there’s an onsite gellateria, mmmm!
- Casa Giovanna – Rooms come with living rooms and kitchens, making it easier for the whole family to be there and cook a home meal. It has everything you need to feel at home.
Where To Stay In Praiano
Praiano, although not as famous as its neighbor Positano, actually has a lot to offer. It’s much quieter and less crowded but still offers stunning views of the Amalfi coast without the high price tag. Our hack for visiting Positano is staying in Praiano. We get to enjoy the same gorgeous views, quieter romantic dinners and evening strolls, but much more affordable prices.
Praiano also has a more authentic Italian vibe, as it still feels like there are locals who live here. One thing to be aware of when staying in Praiano it that you’ll have to take public transportation to get to Positano. Since it’s one of the last stops before Positano, buses are generally pretty full by the time you get on. In high season this could be a real problem.
Here are some of our top picks in Praiano:
- Grand Hotel Tritone – This hotel has everything you need from access to a private beach, an onsite restaurant, garden terrace with a pool and even a wine cellar on site.
- La Maurella – If you’re looking for a reasonably priced BnB, this is the place for you. You’ll stay in rustic, chic rooms, enjoy breakfast on your terrace overlooking the sea, and it’s minutes from town.
- Il Piccolo Sant’Andrea – This cliff-side hotel is the perfect romantic getaway. The spacious rooms, funky indoor pool, spa facilities, and delicious onsite restaurant will have you never wanting to leave.
- Hotel Smeraldo – just minutes from the beach with unbeatable views of Positano and the island of Capri. The restaurant serves local and fresh cuisine.
Where To Stay In Amalfi
If you’re looking for a quieter stay, Amalfi is your best bet. Explore the 11th century quaint old town, shop, head over to Positano, or take a bus over to Ravello for a change of scenery.
Amalfi is perfect for families as there are fewer steps and the roads are less steep than Positano. However, a lot of tour buses stop in Amalfi so it can get very touristy and crowded at certain points throughout the day.
- Hotel Luna Convento – Boasting one of the best locations in Amalfi, Hotel Luna Convento is known for its 13th century ancient courtyard. Enjoy the cozy, rustic interior while you make use of all its facilities like its indoor outdoor pools. Sip on a cocktail while you lay on sun chairs overlooking the ocean.
- Hotel Santa Caterina – This 5 star hotel is one of the most romantic places to spend your time. From private beaches, award winning restaurant and even private parking (should you opt to rent a car). Not to mention the free breakfast.
- Vista d’ Amalfi – Located right in the center of Amalfi, this mid to high range hotel includes a breakfast to enjoy while you sit on the terrace and take in the sea and cliff views.
- Hotel Miramalfi – This hotel is located on a cliff with panoramic sea views and only 800m from Amalfi and 20minutes from Positano. Enjoy sun chairs on 3 different levels and access to your own private beach!
So there you have it, all the types of accommodations to fit your budget, occasion, travel needs and our hacks to finding great stays without the price tag! Finding the best hotels in Positano to fit your needs is not always easy, but in any case we highly recommend booking as far in advance as possible. Don’t forget to check out the rest of our articles on Positano for our top tips and hacks on having the perfect stay.
LIKE THIS POST? SAVE IT ON PINTEREST!